View all facilities

Fortress Rosecrans Trailhead

Image Unavailable
This historic trailhead is located just off Golf Lane inside Old Fort Park. The pathway leading to the Murfreesboro Greenway System passes by several of the remaining sections of Fortress Rosecrans.

Constructed after the Battle of Stones River by Union troops, from January through June 1863, it was the largest enclosed earthen fortification built during the Civil War. As a supply depot, it played an important role in the Union Army's advance to Chattanooga. Fortress Rosecrans was abandoned in April 1866.