Building & Codes
The Building and Codes Department insures the health and safety of Murfreesboro residents through the consistent application of adopted building codes, inspections of new and renovated structures, and property maintenance standards. The department oversees all residential and commercial construction, beginning with the review of plans, through on-site inspections, and the issuance of a certificate of occupancy for the safe use and habitation of the structure.
The department also administers the city’s sign ordinance and assists the Community Development Program with inspection on the repair and replacement of affordable homes.
Council Approves Development Impact Fees
Permit applications for single family residential construction received by June 30, 2023, will be exempt from the fee as will projects with Site Plans approved before July 1, 2023.
The Murfreesboro City Council voted to implement a Fee Schedule with a newly adopted set of Development Impact Fees to help pay for infrastructure projects as the result of population growth and development in the City.
The Building and Codes department opens at 8:00 a.m. All inspectors are in the office from 8:00 a.m. - 8:45 a.m. to answer questions. At 8:45 a.m. the inspectors leave to perform their inspections. Depending on their workload, the inspectors come back into the office to check messages at the end of the day. Office staff stop taking money at 4:00 p.m., and the building closes at 4:30 p.m.
Learn more about New Policy and Procedure Changes for Residential Building Permits
Please email Residential Building Permit Applications or apply in person at Murfreesboro City Hall.
Please Allow two weeks for Processing. Once the application is approved, we will notify you with permit fees and payment options. Please make sure to include your email address so we may notify you.
Presently Adopted Codes:
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- 2018 International Existing Building Code
- ICC A117.1-2009 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities