What is an "easement" ?

An easement is a legal right to use property owned by another party for a special purpose (i.e. a drainage easement).  The easement holder (The City) has the right to access and inspect the property contained within the easement and to place certain restrictions on how the property can be changed, maintained or used.  The easement holder is not responsible for the beautification of an easement but merely the functionality. 

What is a "right of way" ?

Right-of-Way (ROW) is the city-owned strip of land from the edge of the street back a specified distance. Its purpose is to allow the city to build and maintain the street, curb, gutter and storm sewers. This land is the responsibility of the landowner but the city has the right to determine what takes place there. Property records may need to be reviewed to determine the exact dimension since the depth of a ROW varies from location to location. 

Residential Street Light?

Residential street lights in the City limits are the responsibility of Middle Tennessee Electric Membership Corporation (MTEMC).  Please call 615-893-5514 to report an outage. MTEMC’s non-emergency email address to report Street Lights that are not working: Info@mtemc.com 

Road projects and Road Closings?

The Engineering Department is responsible for all road projects and road closings.  Please call 615-893-6441 (Option 2) for further information.

Traffic Lights and Street Signs?

Any issues with traffic lights or street signs should be directed to the Traffic Department at 615-893-6441 (Option 3).