Court Procedures

If you intend to contest your citation, you must contact the clerk's office at least two weeks prior to your court date otherwise, a trial date will be set for the contested matter when you appear in court.

When your name is called, proceed to the podium at the front of the room. You will be asked if you are "guilty" or "not guilty" of the charge(s) for which you have been cited.

If you plead "guilty", your case can be adjudicated right then. If you plead "not guilty", a trial date will be scheduled and you will need to reappear at a later date.

If you are found "not guilty" or if your case is dismissed, you will owe nothing and may leave the courtroom.

If you are found "guilty", a fine will be entered of not more than $50. In addition to the fine, you will also have to pay the court cost which is a minimum of $113.50. Court costs are substantially less if your ticket is for a parking, seatbelt or hands free violation.

Retiring Tickets
Some persons appear in court to try to keep a citation off their driving records. We do not have a driving school for you to attend. However, the court will consider keeping a ticket off your driving record if it is issued for one of three types of violations,  but only under certain circumstances.

For example, if you plead "guilty" to failure to obey a sign, failure to obey a signal, or speeding not more than 20 miles over the speed limit and if you do not possess a commercial driver's license, and if you have not been issued a ticket or a warning anywhere in the last three years, whether that ticket appears on your record or not, then under those circumstances, the court will consider "retiring" your ticket, which means you pay all the court costs but the ticket does not go on your driving record at this time. Even if you meet these requirements, the court may refuse to retire your ticket if other circumstances are present. For example, if you cause an accident or were disrespectful to the police officer or the court may refuse to retire your ticket for any other number of reasons.

If the Court agrees to retire your ticket, your driving history will be checked, and if any tickets are found in the last three years that you did not disclose to the court, your ticket will not be retired. If your ticket is to be retired, you must make sure that your complete mailing address and phone number are on file before you leave the clerk's office in the event we need to get in touch with you.

If you have any questions, please call Murfreesboro City Court at 615-890-2142.