The Narcotics Unit is an investigative unit operating within the Special Investigation Division (SID). The Narcotics Unit is made up of detectives specializing in all aspects of drug investigations. Narcotics Detectives use both covert and overt investigative techniques while working these types of crimes. Because of the complex nature of drug investigations, detectives assigned to the Narcotics Unit must be able to operate in a small unit and be a functioning member of the team.
Responsibilities of the Narcotics Unit are as follows:
- Following up on citizen complaints involving individuals suspected of selling illegal drugs. Many times the location of the suspected drug dealer becomes a nuisance for the community. Narcotics Detectives investigate the location and the people frequenting the residence. Detectives work to permanently resolve the problem.
- Narcotics Detectives are responsible for investigating street level drug dealers. Many times these dealers become a nuisance to the community and foster other criminal activities such as robberies and shootings.
- Detectives in the Narcotics Unit are expected to investigate complex drug organizations. Many times these investigations can take months or even years to complete.
- Narcotics Detectives are responsible for seizing assets obtained by individuals selling illegal drugs. Detectives are expected to be familiar with all seizure laws and maintain a high level of integrity that is fair to all parties involved.
- Narcotics Detectives support our Uniform Division with drug investigations and seizures.
- Detectives assigned to the Narcotics Unit follow up on drug overdoses. Currently many of the overdose cases in the City of Murfreesboro are related to heroin and fentanyl. Detectives work to determine who is distributing the drug and take the investigation as high up in the drug organization as possible.
Detectives within the Narcotics Unit maintain close relationships with other local, state, and federal law-enforcement partners, as well as work closely with state and federal prosecutors.
Detectives within the Narcotics Unit are responsible for training new officers on the types of drugs they will encounter on the streets. Narcotics Detectives also provide training on the changing drug trends at yearly in-services.
To report suspected drug activity or speak to a Narcotics Detective please contact us at 615-849-2651 or 615-893-2717.