Murfreesboro 2035 Comprehensive Plan
What is a Comprehensive Plan?
The City of Murfreesboro approved a comprehensive plan, Murfreesboro 2035, in 2017. We partnered with residents, local business owners and community leaders to plan for the the next 20 years of growth and development. The final result of the two-year planning process is the City of Murfreesboro’s Comprehensive Plan, a community guidebook that specifies policy, program and project initiatives for the City. The plan elements include major functions of the City, including transportation, land use, housing and neighborhoods, parks and recreation, public facilities, historic preservation and economic development with a focus on population growth and infrastructure.
The comprehensive plan contains the community's vision for growth and development. It is a long-range 20+year plan that sets the framework for the physical development of the City. Murfreesboro last developed a comprehensive plan in 1989. The Murfreesboro 2035 plan will help City leaders know your vision to plan for a prosperous, healthy, and equitable Murfreesboro. The plan was prepared by Kendig Keast Collaborative out of Sugarland, TX.
Future Land Use Map Update (2023)
In July 2017, the Murfreesboro Planning Commission adopted the Murfreesboro 2035 Comprehensive Plan, including the future land use map for the City. In late 2019, after several years of using the adopted future land use map, the City Council commissioned the Planning Department and consultant Ragan-Smith to complete an update to it.
- On February 16, 2022, during a joint work session of the City Council and the Planning Commission, the Planning Department and Ragan-Smith gave a presentation on these updates.
- On February 23, 2022, the Planning Department hosted a public information meeting in the rotunda at City Hall regarding these updates.
- The Planning Commission held a public hearing on these updates at its regular meeting on March 16, 2022 and then voted to defer action.
- The Planning Commission held a special meeting on November 30, 2022 to discuss the proposed updated future land use map.
- The Planning Commission and City Council held a special joint meeting on March 1, 2023 to discuss the proposed updates to Chapter 4 and the future land use map. Also at that meeting, the Planning Commission scheduled a public hearing regarding this matter.
- The Planning Commission conducted a public hearing and adopted the updates to Chapter 4 and the future land use map on May 3, 2023.