Murfreesboro has much to celebrate in the season of giving, from citizens beautifying a downtown wall with public art to raising money for Habitat for Humanity at the 12th Annual “Cookin’ to Build.”
CityTV’s ‘In the City,’ is available on YouTube at https://youtu.be/6XHxpb7CQ6k and airing on CityTV throughout the month.
The December edition of “In the City” features:
- Noted artist Norris Hall and the community came together to paint a mural on the side of a downtown wall on Vine Street. The Mural at Vine Street Market features Murfreesboro landmarks with help from the Rutherford Arts Alliance. Hall explains the process of bringing color and life to downtown with art https://youtu.be/ZLW3BX5X4Kk.
- While we’re on the subject of art, a new art show is on display inside the City Hall Rotunda. It features local artists Heloise Shilstat and Kristi Baughman. Their less than conventional artistic expression is derived from fabrics and paper to create art in different forms.
- If you’re a veteran, you can ride Rover, the city’s public transit system, for free. Learn more about how Free Rover for Veterans was initiated and then expanded from a free service in November to a year-long program https://youtu.be/FYldPDqrK68.
- The 12th Annual ‘Cookin’ to Build’ raises money each year to help build affordable housing in Rutherford County. See how supporters gathered on the Public Square to enjoy soups, stews, and chili from 40 vendors https://youtu.be/KNuSS8XmLQc.
- The Murfreesboro Fire Rescue Citizens Fire Academy is a service to the community to provide residents with an up-close, hands-on education of the many aspects of Fire Rescue service https://youtu.be/ecmniOpFKDU.
- Founded in 1968, Special Olympics provides year-round sports competition for people with intellectual disabilities to discover their strengths and gain success. Find out more in this report https://youtu.be/wjjCR0G05Eo.
- Back for the 13th year, the popular Murfreesboro City Schools ‘Chef Academy’ teaches junior chefs to prepare four-course meals in competition https://youtu.be/0ZheWtSfHLs.
- In the latest edition of ‘Talkin’ Agriculture,’ the local Agriculture Extension Office warns us about a new insect infestation affecting a popular tree https://youtu.be/hhY4Mw3HCeI?list=PLXjPQW-GeBG6htF0MOpMkWgIdlT2qOmxL.
- Plus, a full list of the Holiday events through the city and a friendly reminding that Property Taxes are due by December 31 without interest.
‘In the City’ is hosted by award-winning multimedia journalist Michael Linn White and produced by Steve Burris every month in the studios located at Murfreesboro City Hall.
The December 2019 episode is airing on CityTV throughout the month or anytime on YouTube and Facebook. The monthly magazine show airs every day at 8:00 a.m., 6:30 p.m., and 10:30 p.m. on Channel 3 and 1094 on Comcast Xfinity Channels 3 and 1094, Channel 99 on AT&T Uverse, Roku, Apple TV via Cablecast Screenweave app, and YouTube.
For all the latest City news, visit www.murfreesborotn.gov or watch the most recent newsbreaks and past episodes of “In the City” on our YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/cityofmurfreesboro or https://www.murfreesborotn.gov/videos.
For City News online, visit www.Murfreesborotn.gov.