Murfreesboro’s Fire and Rescue wants you to enjoy the holiday season! Unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires in the home. Follow these safety tips to help prevent these fires:
• If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the stove or stovetop.
• When you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly.
• Remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
• Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — away from your stovetop.
• Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires.
• Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan, and turn off the stovetop.
• Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.