Free Services: Self-File, File with Virtual Assistance, In-Person Assistance
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to households that earned $70,000 or less in the previous year. VITA is a financial stability initiative of the United Way of Rutherford and Cannon Counties. From February 1 through April 12, Patterson Park Community Center in Murfreesboro is one of three Rutherford County in-person VITA locations. (521 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. in Murfreesboro)
At VITA Sites, IRS-certified United Way volunteers provide free, basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
Things you will need:
- Photo ID for both spouses if filing jointly. Both spouses must be present if filing jointly. Filing a joint return provides the best tax advantage for most.
- Original copies of Social Security Cards, 1099-SSA ITINs for everyone on the return. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Proof of Income (a W2 for each employer during the tax year, 1099s, Social Security Income, retirement, unemployment, interest, gambling, etc.).
- Self Employed and Contract Work income, expenses and mileage records (total mileage for Jan -June separate from July - Dec.)
- Proof of Expenses if claiming any childcare education, medical, itemized deductions, etc., please total in advance.
- Healthcare Form 1095 Marketplace Insurance if enrolled or 5498-SSA
- Direct Deposit Information voided check or routing and account number for taxpayer
- Previous Tax Return for 2022 and identity PIN if one was provided by the IRS