Would I need a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) if I wanted to paint my house?

A COA would not be required for repainting a house or other structure in the district. However, the Historic Zoning Commission maintains information and will advise on appropriate historic paint colors if requested, and could be of assistance in choosing colors that would contribute to the established district.

Show All Answers

1. What is the difference between the National Register Historic District and the local Historic Zone (H-1)?
2. If my house were included in the Historic Zone (H-1), would I be required to restore it to its original historic appearance?
3. Would I need a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) to remodel my kitchen or bathroom?
4. Would I need a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) if I wanted to paint my house?
5. Would I have to get a COA to replace damaged clapboard or re-side the whole house with vinyl siding?
6. I want to build a substantial addition to my house. If it were located in the historic zone (H-1), would I have to apply for a COA and, if so, could it be denied?
7. My house is not located within the proposed historic zone (H-1). How will the creation of the H-1 zone benefit me?
8. If a historic zone (H-1) is created, but subsequently proves to be unsatisfactory to most of the property owners inside it, can it be undone?
9. Are there tax benefits from being located within a historic district or zone?
10. Are there other advantages to being in a historic district?
11. Who is on the Historic Zoning Commission?
12. What are some activities that would and would not require a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA)?